New insights at Strawberry Hill visitor hub
New visitor facilities at Western Australia’s oldest colonial farm are now open to the public, following a recent formal opening. A striking visitor hub clad in glass and wood is the centrepiece of the development, which also includes new interpretation and displays.
Regional Development Minister Alannah MacTiernan and Heritage Minister David Templeman opened the visitor hub on Tuesday 27 October. The development was supported by a $191,000 Regional Economic Development grant through the GSDC.
Glass walls and roof sections in the visitor hub give it a modern look but enable views through to the site’s heritage buildings. The design of the structure draws from Aboriginal dwellings and the Wardian case, a device used in the colonial era to transport living plants over long distances.
The building’s long axis, with entry and exit points at either end, aligns with the remnants of a Menang walk trail that predates European settlement.
The Old Farm Strawberry Hill was established as a government farm to supply food for the soldiers and convicts who established the first permanent European presence in Western Australia 1827. In the 1830s it became the home of Sir Richard Spencer, the Government Resident of the settlement of Albany.
The property is managed by the National Trust of Australia (WA) and staffed by volunteers who provide hospitality services, lead guided tours and maintain the grounds.
Read more from Bulletin 59:
- Milestone celebration for entertainment centre
- Happy days return at William Bay
- Food trailer to build Katanning menu
- Seven shires gain housing options
- Study to assess recycled gas for Albany
- Scholarship supports Honours study
Go to GSDC Home page